- Are you considering a vegan, vegetarian or plant-based diet for health reasons, animal welfare or environmental concerns?
- Have recent documentaries like “What the Health,” or “Cowspiracy” drawn you to consider a plant-based diet?
- Have you made the leap and started following a plant-based diet only to have your family, friends, or maybe even your doctor question your diet?
You’re not alone. Many people are following this lifestyle, and it is increasingly popular, with about 6% of the population being vegan. But it is anything but trendy. Vegetarianism has been around in many forms for a long time, due to either religious reasons or health reasons.
I have been vegetarian for 20 years and recently made the jump to a whole foods, plant-based diet because of health reasons and animal advocacy and I easily lost the last few pounds I had been struggling to lose. I won’t say that eating plant-based (vegan) is easy, but it is well worth the effort and because of its increasing popularity, it has gotten MUCH easier! I earned my master’s in nutrition at Loma Linda University, which focuses on plant-based diet (but of course trains in all diets for balance) and I even had an entire class devoted to vegetarian nutrition as well as professors who work on the Adventist Health Study, one of the largest research studies on vegetarians. Loma Linda is a Blue Zone (an area where people live much longer and healthier than usual.)
I can help you in your journey to vegan/vegetarian (or just a diet that is focused more on plants)!
- Learn how to plan meals in a way that ensures adequate nutrition. Many Americans have shortcomings in various vitamins and minerals, whether on a vegan diet or eating a Standard American Diet (SAD). But this can be avoided with proper planning.
- Learn how to handle naysayers and people who claim you’re not obtaining adequate nutrients on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Have a plan for what to eat with meal planning strategies so you don’t have to think “what do I eat?” again.
- Enjoy eating out at restaurants and family gatherings with more than enough options.